White Bean Purée with Sautéed Chard
(adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop)
Creamy Puréed White beans with roasted garlic perfectly compliments sautéed Onions and Swiss Chard for a balanced healthy snack or side dish to fish or chicken. You can use fresh chopped garlic that has been sautéed for a spicier flavor but I love the mellow sweet creamy taste of the roasted garlic with this. This is delicious, protein packed substitute for starch when following a low carb diet!
1 1/3 cup vegetable broth
3 , 15 oz cans of Cannellini or Great Northern beans no salt added (or low salt)
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 roasted garlic cloves peeled (whole garlic bulb is needed)
Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Drizzle olive oil on the garlic bulb and wrap a the whole bulb of garlic in tin foil. Bake in toaster over or regular oven at 400 degrees about 45 minutes.
2. In a medium sauce pan bring the broth to a boil.
3. When garlic is done remove and peel 6 cloves and place in a food processor with your white beans and broth. You may have to do the beans in batches depending on the size of your food processor. Purée until smooth.
4. transfer the bean puree back into the sauce pan and cook until thick. Salt and pepper to taste.
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves Minced
2 1/2 lbs well rinsed Chard leaves rough chopped, thick stems removed (you can roast the stems so save them if you like!)
1 Teaspoon minced herbs ( I suggest fresh sage or thyme)
1. In a large Stockpot heat oil over medium heat, add onions and cook until just golden. Add garlic and herbs until fragrant - about 1 minute.
2. add Swiss chard, turning in the pot to coat with oil. Cover and cook until wilted stirring occasionally.
Reheat the White Bean Purée is necessary, portion out in to a shallow bowl and top with greens!
I love to top this with slivered almonds as well!