Monday, February 22, 2010

Indian style lentils with spinach

It is the third day of my liver cleanse and I can now incorporate food back into my diet, so I am treating myself to a hearty and healthy dish of fragrant Indian spices mixed with nutritious lentils and spinach! Part of my love of making this is the beautiful aromatic spices and vegetables I get to experience while making the dish - it sure gets my appetite going!

The lentil or dal, is super good for you - high in potassium, calcium and iron, and a good source of B vitamins, phosphorus and copper and we all know how good spinach is! Thanks Popeye!  Lentils are tasty, versatile, easy to prepare and pretty inexpensive making them one of my favorite foods!

The extra chili pepper and fresh ginger makes this dish very spicy! I suggest leaving out the chili if you want a milder spice flavor.


Spicy Indian Style Lentils with Spinach
ingredients:
• 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
• 1 green chili minced
• 1/4 Teaspoon garam masala (An Indian Spice mix which can also be found in the spice section of your grocery store)
• 1/4 Teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
• 3-4 cups rough chopped spinach
• Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1) rinse lentils and pick over for stones.
2) in a small sauce pan bring lentils to a boil in the vegetable broth. Cook until tender about 25 minutes, add more liquid if needed.
3) in 3 T of Olive oil sautee chili, garlic, ginger, tumeric, garam marsala and cumin about 2 minutes
4) add the lentils plus liquid to the sautee simmer for about 10 minutes
5) add spinach and cook until wilted

Serve with brown rice! Makes enough for 2 servings or 4 servings as a side dish. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails