Thursday, April 28, 2011

The San Diego Wedding - April 16th 2011

Where have I been the past couple of weeks? Well, one week I was away for my wedding and this past week I am coming down from the high and easing back into work.  We have another party coming at the end of May for all of our East Coast family and friends and I can't wait for that! So yeah, I will me MIA for another two weeks at the end of May for the Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild Conference and then the second reception in Connecticut. It is all about me me me right now and I appreciate all of the support and patience I have gotten from family, friends and clients. I swear I will get my act together once all of the wedding bliss has passed - for now please enjoy some pics!

The photographer we hired won't have pics ready for a couple of weeks and we had several cameras going so we are trying to get all of the pictures organized but my Sister-in-Law, Jayci, grabbed Shaun and I for a few pics (she took some gorgeous photographs!) and I did my best to document the DIY food before it got consumed.
photos by my new sis - Jayci Lau of Sweet Petite
 We rented a big house in Carlsbad California with a fabulous backyard and enough bedrooms to house our immediate families while they were in town. We went the budget DIY route and were lucky and blessed to have so many hard workers in the house helping to coordinate tasks and get things done! We got to the house Thursday and had family arriving all day Friday and some even coming in Saturday afternoon after the ceremony! We had family from Hawaii, Texas, San Fran and Connecticut flying out to be with us. We went a little unconventional and had a small ceremony Saturday with a family dinner afterwards and then a reception of about 35 friends and family Sunday. It seemed too short - I barely had a chance to spend time with people!
 Me and Dad (also known as Franky P) with Birds of Paradise - his new favorite flower. He spent a lot of time going around the yard inspecting all of the Bird of Paradise flowers like a giddy little kid. Being from New England and not traveling very much, he had never seen them before and called me over a few times to look at some that he found particularly interesting. He is so cute! Here are a couple of his favorites:


 This patio was towards the back of the yard and was the perfect place to hold the ceremony.

Shaun's Grandparents brought Kalua Pig and Lau Lau all the way from Hawai'i and Shaun's Aunties brought some veggies from China Town in San Fran. The evening of the ceremony we has a simple dinner with Kalua Pig, Lau Lau, Chinese Broccoli and Spinach with Oyster Sauce and plenty of rice and Poi! The Aunties surprised up with a cake so we did the feed each other the cake thing! It was fun!

The day of the reception was crazy with family and friends running around, going to the store for last minute items, hanging decorations and making food. The menu turned out to be quite extensive with Kalua Pig sliders, handmade local Tamales and Lumpia, a variety of Cheeses, Charcuterie and Olives,  Caprese and Baby Green Salads, Homemade Cupcakes, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, French Macarons and Hawai'ian Coffee.
Look for this Red Velvet Cupcake recipe on the Soap Queen blog in the next month or so. It is Gluten, Dairy, Egg and Soy free and the cupcakes were flying off the stand at the Reception!
To decorate I printed out Butterflies from a Dover Clip Art Book onto cardstock, cut them out and taped them to toothpicks. A simple but pretty topper!
I made my Own Wedding bouquet and favors. The favors were soap of course! I made a simple tag with an eyelet and tied it with baking twine. The Matchbooks are filled with a honeybee wildflower mix with many plants native to California. I got the project from Martha Stewart Weddings and modified the template to include the seed mix and planting instructions for Connecticut, Hawai'i and San Diego.
I took the bouquet around the yard looking for accents. There was this fabulous patch of lavender and I just had to include some of my favorite plant into the bouquet.
This soap is my Hubby's favorite! It is unscented made with shea butter, jojoba oil and a bunch of other awesome stuff! I added some ground oatmeal and french yellow clay.
Custom Ring Bowl from Paloma's Nest
Another fun project - I made these vases by covering wine bottles with Chalkboard Spray Paint. My Nephew had fun decorating them and my Dad made little arrangements with leftover Bouquet flowers.

There are still a lot of pictures floating around out there so I will add to this post as I collect them and look out for the Connecticut Reception post sometime in June.

27 comments:

  1. Email@soapfarm.comApril 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM

    Erin this is stunning. You need to send this to Martha Stewart or or submit to Conde Nast. You are so talented and authentic. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Erin. Adorable pics! You both look so happy :). And you definitely put your own uniqueness into your special day. Very cute & original! LOVE the soap packaging & the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Erin! The first pick of the Strelitzia flower is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful weekend. Congratulations! And enjoy this "me" time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It all looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see some pictures and read about it! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Erin! You guys look gorgeous. I love how relaxed and hand crafted your wedding was. So many people get caught up in the wedding and forget what the day is really about. You really made your wedding day your own while keeping your loved ones and your marriage in the forefront. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Erin, I am soo happy for you congratulations!What a sweet couple you make - and your dad is precious. Sounds like it was a glorious day! ((()))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne-Marie FaiolaApril 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM

    Congratulations again Erin! I'm so happy for you =) These pictures are gorgeous by the way. You guys are too cute! And your DIY food looks like it was super delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking blog. Could not help but notice the huge tattoo in your arm Erin when it seemed to be a very elegant ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank so much! It was a lot of fun - maybe after I get pics from the CT reception I will put them all together into a submission.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a wonderful day Lori! The happiest of my life so far! Glad you like the spread!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So that is what that flower is! Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wit to see you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Erin! You definitely deserve some me time with your new husband. Best wishes for your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is lovely, just lovely. Congratualations to you and your Sweetie. I love all the photos, the top one is especially cute. I am smiling and so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous bride and awesome wedding! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your look so beautiful, happy and in love! Congratulations!!! My dad thought he has news he could share ahead of time and was surprised (by technology) about how I already knew. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Erin! It may have been DIY, but it was beautiful, and looked sinfully good! You look like one happy bride, one happy couple, and I vote that you hold onto the wedding bliss for as long as you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. your wedding looks great. it's more meaningful when it's a DIY i think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Erin you both make a lovely couple and so glad that all went well. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Hugs. Philip in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The wedding looks absolutely stunning, and so do you. Happy as clams... the two of you. Congrats to you and your husband. I am super happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dover PublicationsMarch 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM

     Hope you don't mind we just had to pin your cupcakes on the Dover Publications Pinterest. So happy to see our images were incorporated into your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have seen many of your beautiful products on The Soap Queen Blig. I just started reading your blog. ( it is 3 am, and I am rocking a 9 month old to sleep) and as I was reading I noticed the date you were married on. My husand were married on 4-16-2005. Congrats! Big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Juliette! Thank you for stopping by and thank you for the compliment on my soap! How cool that we have the same anniversary date! Congratulations on the little one too. We are trying and keeping our fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails